Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cream Cheesy Fantasies

Over this past week, I think I finally found the perfect balance between men and food (though, as my closest friends know, my ultimate fantasy involves a man, cake, and pizza--man optional). This week, I spent exactly as much time and energy as I wanted on both areas of my life, respectively.

On Friday night, I was supposed to go out to dinner with Ben. Ben is another gem from OkCupid who came along very shortly after my debacle (train wreck) with Sean. We went out on a couple of really fun dates, but things fizzled out as I discovered that his studying for the LSATs did not possibly leave enough time for yours truly. You say high maintenance, I say realistic. If a guy is really into me, he’ll make the time. Unfortunately, Ben was really into the LSATs.

Now, LSATs being over, Ben was ready to start things up again. He got in touch two weekends ago, and we made plans for dinner this past Friday. Then, wouldn’t you know it, I’m bouncing out of my Zumba class on Friday feeling on top of the world, when I get the dreaded text. Ben can’t make it to dinner. BUT BEN, I’m thinking (and repeating over and over again to friends who will listen), YOU ARE THE ONE WHO GOT BACK IN TOUCH WITH ME AND ASKED FOR THIS DINNER AND SCHEDULED IT FOR FRIDAY. However, still reveling in my Zumba-infused high, I quickly text a girlfriend and ask her over for dinner that night. She’s free! Hallelujah! Lonely Friday night crisis averted. I tell girlfriend to bring the wine, and I head to the store for appetizers and the makings for Penne a la Vodka.

The way I make Penne a la Vodka is ridiculously easy. The only trick is to make it a bit ahead of time, so the sauce can simmer before it’s time to eat. I start by sautéing garlic in olive oil, then add almost two cups of chopped onions. After those have cooked down, I add a large can of whole stewed tomatoes, a small can of chopped tomatoes, and a small can of plain tomato sauce. I season the mixture with salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, oregano, marjoram, and red pepper flakes. After these flavors have all come together for a while, I add about ½ cup of vodka and ½ cup of heavy cream. We topped our pasta with leftover goat cheese from the appetizer round, and served it with a simple green salad. For dessert we had diet vodka lemonades at Planet Rose and watched some middle-aged women (and men) with mullets sing karaoke. It was truly a fantastic evening.

Imbued with creative cooking energy by my impromptu dinner party the night before, I decided to bake for our apartment’s going away party on Saturday. I made mini carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese icing. Making cream cheese icing from scratch makes everyone think you are an unbelievably talented chef. Little do they know I am easily without talent! Simplest recipe I make. I put one 8-oz. package of cream cheese, one stick of softened butter, one 16 oz. bag of confectioner’s sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla into my mixer and mixed away. It probably took 45 seconds.

The going away party was a great success (as were the cupcakes). I was finally over my hangover by Monday evening, just in time for my make-up date with Ben. We went out for thai, and it felt very easy and familiar. I hadn’t seen Ben in at least two months, but I quickly remembered why I liked him so much in the first place (Factors including but not limited to his luscious red locks. I’m a sucker for gingers.) I hope I hear from him soon. We exchanged a few texts today (Me: “It was lovely seeing you again last night.” Him: “It was great seeing you too!”) Based on that I’d say we’re probably on the fast-track to a relationship. Am I right or am I right?!

Don’t answer that.

1 comment:

  1. the words "cream cheese fantasy" make me think of us 2 lingering at the zuleta breakfast table for just one more little tub full.

    ReplyDelete