Wednesday, July 20, 2011

(My) Man in the Kitchen

This past weekend with Evan was amazing. This is the closest thing I've had to a relationship in over a year, and MAN does it feel good! I don't have to stress about sending passive aggressive texts. I don't have to worry about him bailing on dates. I don't even have concern myself over whether he'll choose the right restaurant--he lets me do all the choosing!!!

Evan picked me up from my bus to D.C. last Thursday night (Okay, he actually picked me up 30-45 minutes after my bus got in, but he can't be perfect in EVERY way--right?) Being reunited was easy, comfortable, and wonderful. However, our mutual blissful state didn't last long. Evan began preparing himself to...DUN DUN DUN...meet the parents! We managed to get "lost" in D.C., but Evan could not evade the inevitable. Twenty minutes later we crept into the house, thinking (praying) that perhaps my parents had already gone to sleep. How wrong we were. There they are--Mom AND Dad--anxiously waiting to meet the man who would be sharing their only daughter's bed for the weekend.

Despite everyone's mounting anxiety, introductions went smoothly. My mom was instantly charmed by Evan's sweet disposition and boyish good looks. My dad simply looked relieved that he wasn't an ex-convict or drug addict (both of which I've been known to bring home on occasion.) The next day we had lunch with my mom, and by the end of the meal she was smitten. She felt so comfortable, in fact, that she finished the crusts of his pizza while he was in the bathroom. Sure Mom, show Evan that we're a family of gluttons. At least he'll know I come by it honestly.

The rest of the weekend was equally as pleasurable and food-filled. Friday night I had a barbecue at my parents' house, and Evan was an incredible sous chef. He even made grocery shopping easier and more fun. Evan did all the heavy lifting and performed all my least favorite parts of cooking. He chopped onions for the guacamole, tomatoes for the pasta salad, and even grilled all the meat so I could casually float around the party, socializing with friends I hadn't seen in a while. Hands down, one of my favorite nights of the summer.

Saturday night we had another amazing meal, where a restaurant manager friend sent us all of his favorites from the kitchen of a very upscale, Southern restaurant. We had shrimp fritters, watermelon and feta salad, fried green tomatoes, apple-smoked barbecued ribs, braised collard greens, Virginia macaroni and cheese, and strawberry cake with gelato. After stuffing ourselves with food and drink, we chilled out with the new Harry Potter movie and then retired to a room at a nearby (adorable) hotel. We drank wine in matching bathrobes. IT WAS AWESOME.

We'll see what the next few weeks bring. We're hoping to see each other as much as possible before my imminent journey abroad. I can't help feeling very lucky to have met Evan. Who knew a man could be so nice?! He calls when he says he'll call. He shows up when we make plans. He listens to what I say and asks follow up questions!! Holy God, he's setting the standard high.

No comments:

Post a Comment