Monday, December 5, 2011

Turkey for my Men (Beer for my Horses)

This is the longest I've gone without writing. It's also the longest I've gone without cooking. After the Israeli Thanksgiving of 2011, I think I'm due for a break.

With tons of help from neighbors and sous chefs, my best friend and I put on the most authentic Thanksgiving this side of the Mediterranean. It wasn't easy, but we pulled it off. Dinner included a 7-kilo turkey (yeah, what? I think that's like 18 pounds), stuffing, scalloped potatoes, sweet potato puree, roasted vegetables, salad, gravy, cranberry sauce, apple crisp, pumpkin "pie" (pudding/cake/cookie-like dessert), and a noodle kugel for good (Jewish) measure. It was a smorgasborg of American treats. And only half of the guests were American! There were at least eight countries represented at our Thanksgiving feast. And at least ten people at the table hooked up by the end of the night. Now that's what I call a harvest-time miracle.

A week later, I'm coming down from the high of Thanksgiving but gearing up for the birthday (week) of fun. Also trying to brace myself for the sad, sad truth that I've begun my second to last month in the holy land. My second to last month of freedom. My second to last month of 17-shekel sabich. My second to last month of GOING OUT EVERY NIGHT AND DRINKING WITH ABANDON. I mean, my second to last month of exploring my Jewish heritage and gaining an international perspective on my career? Yes, those too.

At least I'm making the most of these last weeks (months? Can I still measure in months?) I may not be cooking, but I'm far from deprived. In the past seven days, I've gone out to eat thirteen times. Sushi and champagne with a certain special someone. Mussels and red wine with my dad, visiting from out of town. Pork belly and creme brulee with friends for an early birthday dinner. I'm so filled with good food, and so filled with love.

1 comment: